Club History

Tairua Rugby & Sports Club

Established in 1888, the Tairua Rugby & Sports Club is one of the oldest sports clubs in New Zealand. Situated on the Coromandel Peninsula, the club has served as a central hub for sports and community life in the area for well over a century.

Club Foundation
1888
The Tairua Rugby Football Club was formed by local workers from the booming gold mining and timber/forestry industries in late 19th-century Coromandel. According to club lore, their blue-and-white hooped playing strip was adopted when travelling players brought borrowed jerseys back from Auckland.

Affiliation & Local Growth
Early-Mid 1900s
As rugby expanded throughout the Thames Valley province, Tairua established itself as a resilient rural club. The club provided both a sporting venue and an essential social gathering space for isolated coastal and farming families.

Cory Park Domain & Modern Clubrooms
1983
The club solidified its home base at Cory Park Domain in Tairua. On October 8, 1983, the club officially opened its expanded clubroom facilities to accommodate a growing membership.

Transition to Multi-Sport Club

Late 20th Century–Present

To meet the changing demographics of the Coromandel town, the club broadened its scope beyond men’s rugby. Renamed the Tairua Rugby & Sports Club, it incorporated junior rugby, netball, cricket, tennis, football, and social sports.

Key Historical Highlights

Working-Class Origins: The original team was built around hard-labor workers from timber mills and bush camps who played rival communities up and down the Coromandel coast.
Thames Valley Connection: The club operates under the umbrella of the Thames Valley Rugby Football Union (the “Swampfoxes”).
Community Hub: Beyond athletics, the Cory Park Domain clubrooms serve as a venue for local events, celebrations, and gatherings, retaining the rural New Zealand tradition of sports clubs acting as the social heart of a town.

CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Official Opening of Clubrooms Saturday October 8th 1983

Club:
Year published:
Author:
Page count:
Notes:
Tairua Rugby & Sports Club
1983
Not stated
12 pages
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Official Opening of Clubrooms Saturday October 8th 1983

Club:
Tairua Rugby & Sports Club
Year:
1983
Author:
Not stated
Pages:
12 pages
Notes: