Club History

Cobar & Districts Rugby Club

The Cobar & Districts Rugby Club, known as the “Cobar Camels,” was founded in 1958.

Here’s a brief timeline of key historical moments for the club:

1958: The club is formed.

1959: They play their first season with seven-a-side games.

1960: The Cobar Camels play their first full-scale match against Warren at Ward Oval.

1961: Junior rugby is established within the club.

1962: Bruce Harland, a talented center for the club, tours New Zealand with the Australian Wallabies.

1967, 1968, and 1969: They secure back-to-back grand final victories, beating Bourke in 1967 and Trangie in both 1968 and 1969.

1970: The club’s home ground, Ailsa Fitzsimmons Oval, is officially opened and named in honor of one of the founding members who had passed away in 1963.

1971: The club wins another premiership.

1977: The club’s clubhouse is officially opened.

1978: Cobar hosts a significant international rugby match between Wales and the NSW Country team.

2008: The club celebrates its Golden Jubilee (50th anniversary).

2023: The club celebrates its 65th anniversary, despite having to cancel the remainder of the season due to a lack of players.
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Cobar and District (NSW Australia) RUFC New Zealand Tour 1963

Club:
Year published:
Author:
Page count:
Notes:
Cobar & Districts Rugby Club
1963
C&DRFC
12 pages
Small programme for the clubs 6 match tour to New Zealand. It contains history of the club. Printed paper covers
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Cobar and District (NSW Australia) RUFC New Zealand Tour 1963

Club:
Cobar & Districts Rugby Club
Year:
1963
Author:
C&DRFC
Pages:
12 pages
Notes:
Small programme for the clubs 6 match tour to New Zealand. It contains history of the club. Printed paper covers